1) Who are you and where are you located?
Hello, my name is Cami Thompson and I am from Omaha, NE.
2) Do you have a home studio, rented space, or are you on location?
I rent a space in a large building shared by all different artists. My studio space is about 400sq ft. in an awesome old building with lots of character.
3) What subjects are your primary focus and which do you enjoy shooting the most?
Newborns are my specialty and I love everything about them!
4) There are so many different kinds of camera’s out there! What do you use and how did you decide on that particular one?
I shoot with a Canon 6d. I chose this camera because I did a lot of research between it and another full frame camera and found this one was very comparable yet cost a lot less money!!!
5) While we’re talking about equipment, what lens do you prefer to use and why?
Lenses!! I shoot most of my newborns with my Sigma 24-70 2.8. I love being able to get those wide shots and then be able to zoom in when needed.
6) We hear a lot of debate on natural light vs. studio light, what are your thoughts on the subject?
I love them both. I use natural light whenever I can but I really love that I can shoot whenever no matter what time of day because of my studio lights.
7) How did you learn to be a photographer?
I am self taught. I have my bachelors degree in graphic design. I have always been interested in arts my whole life. I wanted to go to school for photography but when I was there they told me it was the same degree as I was in and I had already invested so much time so I just taught myself.
8) What or who inspires you? Do you have a photographer you look up to?
Oh gosh….I have so many who inspire me daily. I love Kelly Brown, she is just amazing. I have watched and bought her videos on creative live to help me learn to grow.
9) When you’re doing a photoshoot or working an event, what is your favorite part?
My favorite part is getting a pose I have been struggling with to work! I love that I get to cuddle babies and get to photograph them in this most precious time for their parents to remember forever.
10) What have you struggled with the most while having a career as a professional photographer? Any tips for somebody who is just starting out?
Getting the word out about me and trying to be different than every other photographer around me. I think my advice for someone just starting is to learn what you are doing. Learn everything you can about your camera and lenses. If you are passionate about what you are doing you will get there and it is so worth it.
11) Do you have any unconventional tips or tricks for getting your little clients to cooperate during a shoot?
I find that shhing them in there ear fairly loudly seems to be one of the best things to get them to calm. I don’t know if that is real unconventional but it works wonders.
12) Where would you like to see your company in the next five years?
I would really like to be focusing solely on newborns and in my perfect studio space.
I absolutely love Custom Photo Prop’s products I think I use something of theirs in every shoot I do. I have quite a few items to choose from and I love the faux flokati and the baby whisperer series. https://www.customphotoprops.com/
Thank you, Cami!